my blog list

about me

search

5.21.2011

a place where the earl grey flows like wine

One of the highlights of my having a flexible schedule right now is getting to do things I wouldn't be asked to do otherwise. Friends, Sean and Kristie Maddox have begun the launch of a mobile coffee & tea bar. (More to come on advertising for that as they are finishing up their branding and will be ready to go soon!) Last night I helped them to staff an event held at King Plow Arts Center, a  turn of the century machinery manufacturing plant on the Westside, full of history and charm.  It was such a fun event and all of the Maddox' bars & equipment are top notch and built by Sean himself! They served hand poured brewed coffees and teas out of dainty glass pots and artful carafes. The Earl Grey had the most amazing aroma I have ever smelled in my life. I don't think I'll ever be able to handle tea on a string again. Their Barista, David, who also works at Rise-N-Dine, haven't been there but want to try it, served a steady stream of deliciously gorgeous cappuccinos and lattes, and I had fun talking to people and mixing the Italian sodas. Do you know how to make a good Italian soda? I sure didn't. Most of the people attending didn't know either. They were expecting ice cream, liquor, all kinds of other things. This would be my kitchen counter the day before, practicing my pouring for the event using water once I ran out of syrup. My brother, who ran a restaurant and bar in Mississippi while in college and whose boss has been written up in Southern Living, also gave me some tips like suggesting I should throw the bottles up in the air and catch them behind my back. In the end, I didn't think a girl in heels should be throwing bottles for any reason. Italian sodas are refreshing, light and the perfect end to a heavy meal, even after the "after dinner" cup of espresso or coffee.


Italian Soda
7 oz. of sparkling water (San Pellegrino is best)
1 oz. of flavored syrup (ex: orange, lemon or mango)
ice
-Fill glass half full with ice . 
-Add sparkling water and pour syrup over the top in a swirling motion. 
-No stirring is necessary. 

If you missed the quote from the title of this post, I'll give you another clue..."I'm talking about a little place called Aspen, Harry". 




No comments:

Post a Comment