my blog list

about me

search

1.01.2011

do i trust in the one who has adopted me?

I saw the movie, "The Kite Runner", for the first time tonight. A heartbreaking but redemptive story about a man who goes back to his home country of Afghanistan to rescue his young nephew from slavery and horrific abuse. The little boy is brought back to California with him to a new family, a new life and and instant love and acceptance. As the movie ends he is still very apprehensive about trusting or believing that he will never have to go back to his old life. You can see it so clearly in his eyes. I just kept thinking about how for most of my life as a Christian I have been that boy. Distrusting of my Heavenly Father's love and care for me. Watching the movie I just wanted to somehow let the boy know that he was going to be okay, that he would heal from his abuse and that he would experience such an amazing new life, with so much freedom and joy--if he would just take hold of it.

For we are no longer slaves again to fear, but we are now sons who cry Abba Father. I want to recognize my place as an adopted daughter into the family of God with no fear that God will ever change his mind about me and with no lack of trust in God's perfect love and specific care. Why can I not? Lord I believe, help my unbelief. I need to be reminded of this truth constantly.

Another picture of this came yesterday evening at the airport where I was able to witness the homecoming of a family in my church who just brought back their first adopted child from Uganda. They have two other children and now little Charles Tucker makes three. Watching him enveloped in a sea of white adult faces and kids of all ages with their sticky, sweaty hands patting and rubbing him was overwhelming I'm sure. But to see the joy of his new family was the sweetest part. The delight of being together and making themselves more complete with him there was so moving. There is no hesitation in their eyes, no reconsidering, it is pure delight and love. Adoption is such a profound act of sheer mercy and grace. I'm thankful for this family and the sharing of God's work in and through their lives so that I have another tangible reminder of God's adopting love. Their blog is Love That Passes Knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Hannah! I've been thinking a lot about this same idea lately. You worded it so well.

    ReplyDelete