my blog list

about me

search

8.13.2011

21st birthday fun

My baby sister Joy (sorry Joy) turned 21 yesterday! I can't believe it because I changed her diapers and remember so clearly the day I found out Mom was pregnant in the Winter of 8th grade. On my first day of high school my Mom and Joy were still in the hospital as Joy had gotten a fairly bad infection right after her birth and had to stay for a few extra days, so I went to Riverwood High School by myself and signed up for my classes. In college when Joy came to visit she toddled down the hall of my freshman dorm and everyone fed her candy until she was in a sugar coma.



Last night my parents and 5 of Joy's close friends came over for dinner and drinks. I wanted to do a little bit of festive decorating, but per usual, nothing overkill. I always take off one piece of jewelry before I leave the house for the same reason!

I made a large pom pom for the living room and one for the dining table...thanks to Martha Stewart I have made these a thousand times in all different shapes and sizes. They are great for topping gifts as well.









I think they all had fun and Joy felt well celebrated! The only snafu was that somehow the glass container part of our blender went missing 30 minutes before the party. After turning the house upside down and finding the base, blade and top, there was no luck with the pitcher. It is truly a mystery as there isn't much you can do with a glass pitcher that has no top or bottom. Needless to say the recipe I was going to use for frozen margaritas ended up being on the rocks....and I accidentally doubled the Triple Sec and thought it wouldn't be a big deal....whoops! All the girls were tipsy after 30 minutes. I poured them all large glasses of water before they headed out with a DD, of course. This morning I woke up and found this in the refrigerator.
Adult.  Chocolate.  Milk.


Happy Birthday Joy. You're so much fun and I love you. Maybe I will write a post later about all of the things I wish I had known at 21 that I know now. That would be very older sisterly of me.









No comments:

Post a Comment